Cogmed Working Memory Training is an evidence-based program for helping children, adolescents, and adults sustainably improve attention by training their working memory. The program is based on strong scientific research, is delivered under the supervision of a Cogmed Qualified Coach, and can be done either in the convenience of the client’s home or at a designated healthcare facility.
Cogmed Working Memory Training is built around three easy-to-use and age-specific program applications.
- Cogmed JM – Pre-school: Younger children use their working memory for a number of things, such as focusing on and following instructions, and remaining seated to complete independent activities.
- Cogmed RM – School age: Working memory is crucial for children and adolescents in school and socially. Reading, solving math problems, planning, and following a conversation all rely on working memory.
- Cogmed QM – Adult: Working memory in adult and professional life is critical for challenges such as planning, focusing, resisting distraction, and meeting deadlines.
The complete program includes:
- Initial Interview – All Cogmed providers provide screening to determine suitable users. The likelihood of him/her benefiting from the training is evaluated.
- Start-up session – The Cogmed Coach plans and structures the training.
- Weekly coach calls – The user goes through the training either at home, at school, or at work to get advice on how to get the most out of the training, hear feedback, and increase motivation.
- Access to the Cogmed Training Web – Both the user and the Cogmed Coach review and monitor the results of each day’s training, using our online system.
- Wrap-up session – After the training is completed, the Cogmed Coach summarizes the training together with the user and provides feedback data from rating scales and the Cogmed Training Web.
- Six months follow-up interview – The Cogmed Coach documents training effects again, with more time elapsed and the effects fully emerged
Working memory is critical for focusing, appropriately shutting out distractions, and for complex thinking. Improved working memory capacity generalizes to improved attention, and impulse control. 8 of 10 users who complete training show measurable effects.
- Research and clinical data show improved grades following Cogmed training. Parents and teachers also report improved social skills, taking initiative, remembering instructions, and completing assignments more independently.
- The objective is better academic results, particularly in reading comprehension and math.
- By training your working memory you will be better able to stay focused, ignore distractions, plan instructions, and start and finish tasks.
- The objective is better professional performance and attentional stamina.
Cogmed Training Method
Unique Cogmed coaching model ensures 90% completion rate
The Cogmed training method consists of 25 training sessions done online, each 30-45 minutes long (variations to that protocol are now available in beta). Each session consists of a selection of various tasks that target the different aspects of working memory. The training is done online at home, in school, or at work. The standard program is five weeks long with five sessions every week, again now with variations available in beta. It is a rigorous program designed to improve working memory through intensive and systematic training.
The training is available through professional channels around the world. The training is always led by a Cogmed Qualified Coach who works with the user to provide structure, motivation, and feedback on the progress.
The program is challenging and rewarding, and for the best possible training effects, sustained effort is necessary. This is why there is always a Cogmed Qualified Coach involved. Cogmed has a proven track record of providing users with excellent support and results in all settings where Cogmed is available.
How it Works
There is no mystery behind Cogmed training effects – this is how it works
The Cogmed program delivers substantial and lasting benefits. There is a straightforward and research-based explanation for the mechanisms delivering the effects.
Very focused design – working memory improvement
The program challenges the user’s working memory capacity. The computerized, cognitive exercises are designed by neuroscientists to target this key cognitive function that has been proven to be fundamental to executive function and attention. The details of the exercise design allow the program to be very focused and yet provide slight variations.
Finely tuned difficulty level – you are always challenged
The difficulty level of the training is adjusted in real time by the software based on the user’s performance. The highly fine-tuned calibration means that every Cogmed user will always be training at the very edge of his or her cognitive capacity. This is true for many people, from a young child with severely impaired capacity, to an adult in good cognitive shape. Whoever you are, Cogmed training will challenge your brain – and improve it.
Highly personal support ensures you will complete the training
The program is carefully designed, rigorous, and focused on a key cognitive function. But to have strong real life effects, it also has to be used in the right way. This is why Cogmed training is always supported by a Cogmed-trained coach. The coach makes sure the user has the right profile for the training, and that the timing is right. The coach is responsible for providing the motivation, support, and feedback necessary to get the most out the training. Thanks to the Cogmed coaches, 90% of Cogmed users complete their training.
The improved working memory “generalizes” to behavior
This is the research breakthrough that created and propels Cogmed. When you improve your working memory capacity, the change generalizes to your behavior. In other words, the change is translated to other things than just working memory. The research breakthrough is that by training a tightly defined cognitive function you create a cascading effect of improvements. You will be better able to pay attention, resist distractions, self-manage, and learn.
You should not just take our word for this; review the research behind Cogmed and talk to one of the highly experienced professionals who use Cogmed to help their clients prepare for success. Ask the hard questions and find out for yourself how it works.
Working memory capacity determines your cognitive performance. Cogmed training improves your working memory. Your strengthened working memory allows you to perform better. The training creates the cognitive foundation you need to prepare for success.
Want to know more? Read our CodMed FAQ’s on our Resource page.